The reason for starting this diorama, was to try out some new techniques for painting old wood and create a building.
I found a picture of an old barn on the internet. This picture was the inspiration for the building. The first step was to make up a paper model of the model. I did this to get an idea of how big the building needed to be.
For this diorama I actually had a base ready made that was a pretty OK size. Usually this is a bad idea. You should always play along with the elements of the diorama, and let the layout decide the size of the base.
Anyway… I drew a small “map” of how I wanted my diorama to look like.
The next step was to make the skeleton of the building using Capafix board. Capafix is a board which is built up of two thin card boards with a kind of foam between them. Often used by architects in model making. This skeleton will later be covered with wood strips.
This enabled me to get this first look and feel of how the diorama layout would be.
(I decided to drop the round tower in my initial paper model)